Most cows will get through calving with slightly compromised liver function, with some liver regeneration having occurred over the winter, but they will need reasonable TLC.
- Get body condition score to a 5
- Use low protein supplements such as maize and hay if possible in the transition period
- Feed at levels above maintenance and ensure cows are not losing weight during the transition period
- Use Starter Plus or Vitol to provide an immediate energy lift after calving, and reduce Ketosis
- Offer adlib feed to colostrum cows
- B vitamins may be of some use (B12 or multivitamin injections)
- Rumensin, which is proven to reduce Ketosis over the calving period is likely to help
- IV dextrose may be of benefit along with calcium to any down cows
- Ensure adequate magnesium levels to springers and colostrum cows
Attention to good stock management and cow nursing care are the keys.