This involves operating on the soft organs and tissues of the body ie not the bones or joints.
There is much less structural component to this area of surgery, so there is less need for the heavy duty tools from the orthopaedic department and more need for very gentle handling of sometimes very delicate tissues.
To assist us with carrying out these procedures we have:
- Two dedicated operating theatres
- Intensive care cages for continuous monitoring of patients before and after surgery
- Surgical suction
- Full range of surgical instruments for all procedures including deep laparotomy and thoracotomy
- Dedicated nursing staff for anaesthetic monitoring and post-operative care
- Access to fresh frozen plasma and whole blood