Guinea pigs are wonderful pets who start out shy but form a close bond with the humans who look after them once trust is built. They live for 4 - 7 years and love being picked up and stroked.
Some interesting facts
- They are most active at dawn and dusk.
- A guinea pig’s teeth never stop growing.
- They need lots of fresh hay every day because chewing it wears the teeth down. Keeping a wood block or fruit branch in their enclosure also helps.
- Like humans, they can’t store vitamin C so they need a daily dose from fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Guinea pigs love to burrow and hide in their sleeping area.
- They make lots of weird sounds to communicate. Figuring out what they all mean is a lot of fun.
- When guinea pigs are super happy or excited they jump around their enclosure. This is called ‘popcorning’.